1826 Thomas Baily built East Dulwich Chapel as a chapel-of-ease in the ancient parish of St. Giles, Camberwell. It stood on the corner of Tintagel Crescent, opposite Goose Green. The Revd. Matthew Anderson was appointed as Priest-in-Charge.
1839 A new school was built at Troy Town to replace the infant day school which had met in the basement of East Dulwich Chapel. It became known as the East Dulwich and Peckham Rye National School.
1863 St. John’s foundation stone was laid by the Rt. Hon. Sir Charles Jasper Selwyn PC, QC.
1865 St. John’s Church was dedicated on 16th May by Charles Richard Sumner, Bishop of Winchester.
1883 Maxted Road Mission was opened in a private house.
1902 St. Andrew’s Mission Church was opened.
1906 The Revd. Arthur Eglinton gave evidence to the Royal Commission on Ecclesiastical Discipline in answer to accusations of ritualism in St. John’s liturgy and practice.
1914 The vestry was built on to the church.
1917 Pew rents were abolished at St. John’s and all seats were free to use.
1921 The Calvary War Memorial was dedicated in memory of those men of the parish who had given their lives in the First World War.
1927 Services ceased to be held at Epiphany Church but the building continued to be used for Sunday School and social events.
1932 St. Andrew’s Mission Church fell out of use. The building was sold in 1948 to help finance the re-building of St. John’s.
1940 Walnut Tree Villa in Ady’s Road was acquired as St. John’s Vicarage.
1951 Bertram Simpson, Bishop of Southwark, once a choirboy at St. John’s, re-dedicated the restored St. John’s on 5th May.
1954 The West Gallery was erected to house the organ and choir.
1972-1994 St. John’s Children’s Week. This was started by the Revd. James Atwell to provide a week of fun and activities for children during the summer school holidays.
1989 Rosemary Shaw, a longstanding member of St. John’s was ordained deacon in Southwark Cathedral. The Revd. Dilly Baker was appointed as St. John’s first female curate.
1993 An appeal fund was set up to build the Goose Green Centre for Church and Community as a response to the “Faith in the City” report.
1994 St. John and St. Clement’s School moved to Ady’s Road.
2003-2005 A major project took place to repair the church spire and renew the electrical wiring.
2011 A new organ, on long-term loan from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance in Greenwich, was installed in a former chapel on the south side of the church.
2015 St. John’s 150th Anniversary was celebrated with a High Mass celebrated by Christopher Chessun, Bishop of Southwark.
2017 St. John’s became involved in the Robes Project for the first time, joining a rota of churches offering space to sleep and a hot meal for a group of homeless people one night a week.
St John’s Church today